The filled-in archway (near the floor) connects with the arched-over tailrace from the waterwheel which powered the paper mill built by Robert Shore and George White in 1771. See No. 11 on tour guide.
In the corner of the adjoining mechanics’ Shop, there are the remains of some steps which gave access to this goyt.
Note the large bucket in the foreground holding bobbins. It is one of dozens in the Bobbin Room that are made of buffalo hide. In the 1880’s the buffalo on the American plains were almost hunted to extinction for their hide and many ships returning to Europe carried them as ballast.